Monday, February 18, 2019

Food & Travel: How to have the Perfect Valentine's Date without Breaking your Wallet

Valentine's Day is here again. As usual, everywhere you go on February 14th will remind you that it's a special day. You'll find posters all around malls and establishments promoting all kinds of heart-shaped pastries and dinner-for-two promos. You'll find double the usual number of flower shops in malls and then there are lines full of couples as far as the eye can see. Single people are suddenly self-conscious about their marital status, while couples (especially the men in the relationships) are suddenly conscious about the state of their wallets.

There's nothing wrong with treating your significant other on the special day, but it's also important to have a bit of self-control. You also don't want your partner to think you're cheap, so you're very likely to splurge on something. Those dinner-for-two promos are nice but you aren't exactly treating your girlfriend on a height of sophistication by eating at Chow King. Movies are great but they're also pricey (I recommend watching Alita: Battle Angel if you're planning to go that route.) The really good cinemas with the La-Z-Boys are especially expensive.

What if I told you it's possible to eat at a great place, and watch a good show, without spending over 500Php? You'd be in disbelief but I can assure you that it is very real and possible to do that.

1. Find a place with performers for free

Chances are since it's Valentine's Day, you'd find places setting up attractions to take advantage of the situation to draw even bigger crowds. The Venice Grand Canal Mall is one of these places. Aside from the mimes and statue-people, Venice hosted a grand performance spanning the whole mall on Feb 14, 2017. Before Valentine's Day, the mall had posters all around the area informing everyone passing by -- like me and my girlfriend -- that there was going to be a show. So we were able to set the time for this because we knew about it beforehand.




Valentine's Day 2017 was the first Valentine's me and my girlfriend spent together so it was quite a magical moment for us when we saw this. Unfortunately, there isn't any extravagant performance in Venice this Valentine's Day, but opportunities are abound in this big wide world of ours. Most likely there are free shows somewhere out there, maybe in a mall near you.

2. Use a Promo like Zomato Gold

I'm a huge advocate of Zomato Gold because they give out such incredible deals. There are other deals that give you 30% discounts for select restaurants, like the Bistro Card, but they pale in comparison to Zomato Gold's 1+1 on food and 2+2 on drinks, which essentially means you're getting 100% off on the other item you order.

I got this hearty meal from Banapple for free. How? By using Zomato Gold :)


In the McKinley Hill area, you have three fine establishments that honor your Zomato Gold membership: Banapple, New Bombay, and 121.

Zomato Gold costs a mere 400Php per year. (Update: due to high demand, Zomato Gold is now 900Php a year.) Does that sound a bit steep for you? I didn't write this post to primarily advertise for my own personal gain, but I can sweeten the deal for you when you use my referral code to obtain your Zomato Gold membership.

Referral Code: TIMS7761

By using my referral code, you can get a discount when you sign up for Zomato Gold. What's in it for me? I just get an additional month to my membership. When I got my Zomato Gold membership, I used a friend's referral code too. Just head on over to their website to sign up for Gold!

Would you believe we got both of these for a mere 280Php? It's possible with Zomato Gold!
Great dishes from Bluesmith Cafe at the 30th

Have you seen any great free shows with the love of your life? Have you taken her to a beautiful place to dine at? Feel free to comment below about great places. Me and my girlfriend would love to check it out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment