Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Other: Trying out Dip (aka Chewing Tobacco) in the Philippines

This is what a tin of Grizzly dip looks like.

I love trying new things. Whether it be food or some exciting activity or just something to spice up the day like taking a different route in my commute,I'm up for it. I believe life ought to be full of many awesome experiences.

It's inevitable I'd end up trying dip one day. Why would I pass up the chance to try something that's not easily accessible here? I managed to get a hold of the stuff thanks to my cousin, who works as a bartender. A cowboy soldier stopped by his bar and asked if we have any dip in this part of the world while he was drinking. We said that kind of stuff isn't popular around here, so he was happy to give us some (for $5.00...) so we can savor a new experience.

Thanks Cousin!
Before I get to it, here's a bit of an introduction on my nicotine intake habits. I'm not a smoker. I've tried smoking numerous times whenever my friends hand me a stick from their packs, but I've never really been addicted to it.

I drink lite beer more than I smoke, at least once every two weeks, but that's a different story.

So with all that said, I was feeling ballsy enough to try dip, and I don't think I'll get addicted to it. As one of my friends said back then, I have a will of steel when it comes to these addictive things.

One more thing I'd like to add before I get to my experiences is that Filipinos like to smoke and drink, but we can't handle too much. Hard drinks like whiskey and vodka are taken sparingly. Filipinos prefer the minty and light Marlboro cigarettes (the ones you "pop" first) over the ones with the red butts and stronger tobacco levels.

As of the writing of this post I've already tried dip twice. The first time I tried it, I diapered it in tissue for extra precaution, the second time I did it I was in the office at work, and I dipped it the way it was meant to be done; with no tissue at all.

Warning
Dipping is dangerous to your health. Much more dangerous than smoking. I talk about it in detail here but I implore you to understand the risks before you think about trying it.

Below are some things I found interesting about dipping.

This is what dip looks like when you open the tin.

1. It's called chewing tobacco in some parts of the US but you don't chew it at all.

Doesn't matter what part of the US midwest you're in. Nobody chews dip. The stuff is moist and juicy so if you do chew it you're squeezing out all of the juice it already has. Not even the toughest cowboys can take all the juice of a pinch of dip all at once with a straight face. You take a pinch from the tin and put the stuff in between your lower lip and gum.

2. You'll feel a slightly acidic burn between your lip and your gum

This slight pain that dippers feel might turn off Filipinos from trying the stuff. Your lip and gums feel this way because the nicotine from the dip is entering your blood stream through the tissue in your mouth. It only hurts at the start, but after a few minutes, the pain will start to subside.

The video below was taken while I was at a province in the Philippines called Pampanga. So basically I was taking dip in the countryside and I never felt more like a cowboy than I did at that moment.


3. Suck, spit, and... soothe yourself.

I let the wad of tobacco sit in between my lower lip and gum. I occasionally suck at it to get some juices out for some flavor. The juice isn't meant to be swallowed so once it builds up I spit it out in a cup. Do this enough times and you'll -- as the cowboy put it -- enter a state of euphoria.

I got high and the tension in my muscles disappeared. It's a lot stronger than any sort of chemical effect I got from smoking regular cigarettes. I got so high it made me nauseous I had to take a time out from work.

4. Once you're done, spit out the tobacco.

On average, dippers keep the wad of tobacco in their mouths for about 45mins. Smokers can keep a stick alive for a mere 5mins. 10mins at most. Once the wad of tobacco has already been exhausted, I had to spit it out otherwise I'd vomit (the same with the spit that built up in my mouth; if I swallowed it then I'd be puking). I did spit out my wad, but it broke apart in my mouth so I accidentally swallowed some bits and I puked anyway.

So there you have it. My experience with dipping. It was one helluva experience. I got loose, high, and nauseous. I also puked. Will I do it again? Absolutely. I have a feeling I'll be dipping again some time soon. Does it mean I'm already addicted to it? I hope not. Even if I was, I only have one tin with me. Once it's fully consumed I either have to track down the American cowboy who gave us a tin in the first place, or travel halfway across the world to get my fix. Neither of which are going to happen soon.

I don't see this getting popular in the Philippines anytime soon. I tried introducing my officemates who smoke to it, and they just found it weird. Not everyone is ready yet to try out new experiences like me.

How about you? If you had the chance to dip, are you willing to try it despite the possibility of puking and feeling sick? Let me know in the comments below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment